FaceTime Not Working Problems and How to Fix Them
FaceTime is Apple’s official app to make free video phone calls. However, there are many situations when FaceTime doesn’t work.
Even recently, some iOS users reported about FaceTime waiting for activation error and some reported about the camera isn’t working in their FaceTime. As we are seeing that users are facing various problems while using FaceTime and that’s we come up with this guide. Here, we have covered common FaceTime not working problems and various possible tips to help you come out of these problems with ease.
- Part 1: Why is My FaceTime Not Working?
- Part 2: Top FaceTime Not Working Problems and How to Fixes Them
- Part 3: Fix FaceTime Not working on iPhone/iPad with iOS System Repair Tool
Part 1: Why is My FaceTime Not Working?
If you’re wondering “why is my FaceTime not working”, then there could be a number of reasons that can lead to FaceTime not working problem. Following are the most common reasons for the FaceTime problem you’re facing
FaceTime Not Working Possible Cause 1: FaceTime is Turned Off
One of the most common reasons why your FaceTime isn’t working is because you haven’t enabled FaceTime. So, just go to “Settings”>” FaceTime” on your iPhone/iPad. Here, make sure that FaceTime is turned on.
FaceTime Not Working Possible Cause 2: You’ve Signed in to FaceTime with Wrong Apple ID
It might be the case that you have entered the wrong Apple ID while signing in to FaceTime. You need to check that you’re signed in to all your FaceTime accounts with the same Apple ID. To do that, open “Settings”> FaceTime”>” Check the Apple ID”.
FaceTime Not Working Possible Cause 3: Device incompatibility Issue
If you’re trying to use FaceTime over cellular data on your iPhone/iPad, then it might be the case that your device isn’t compatible with this FaceTime feature. Apple introduced FaceTime over cellular data only for selected devices, not all.
FaceTime Not Working Possible Cause 4: Apple Servers Are Down
It might be the case that Apple servers are down when you’re trying to use FaceTime. Therefore, visit the Apple Status page and make sure that Apple servers are available for FaceTime.
FaceTime Not Working Possible Cause 5: Call forwarding Isn’t Available in FaceTime
If you can’t make a FaceTime call on your iDevice, then it could be because of call forwarding isn’t available in your FaceTime.
These are common reasons for FaceTime not working on iPhone/iPad. Now, let’s move on to different FaceTime not working problems and how you can fix them.
Part 2: Top FaceTime Not Working Problems and How to Fixes Them
Following are the most common FaceTime problems you can face. But, you will be glad to know that there are several tips available to fix all these common issues without much trouble.
1: FaceTime Waiting For Activation
When you are getting a message stating “an error occurred during activation FaceTime” that means there is a problem with the sign in and you have to re-activate it. The possible fixes for this problem are given as follows:
- Check your device settings and make sure that you are connected to a cellular data or Wi-Fi network. Also, ensure that you are using the correct time zone. Open Settings app> General> Date & Time and set the correct time zone.
- Turn off and restart the FaceTime app. Open Settings> FaceTime> Turn off. Now restart your device and then turn FaceTime on and hopefully, it will be activated properly.
Usually, it takes 24 hours to activate FaceTime successfully. If the problem persists, then try updating to the latest iOS version, contact your carrier, or at last, you’ll have to contact Apple Support.
2: FaceTime Keeps Failing
FaceTime app displaying the message as FaceTime failed or disconnected means that there is an issue with the connection. It is obvious that you need a strong internet connection to use FaceTime. Otherwise, your FaceTime not working on iPhone problem will continue bothering you.
You can try out the following ideas:
- Ensure that you have a strong Wi-Fi connection. If you are using a router, firewall, or security software, check if it’s them who are restricting internet access for the calls.
- Activate Cellular data for FaceTime in the Settings.
- Verify that you are using the correct phone number or email address.
- If you don’t see the FaceTime settings, open Settings> Screen Time feature> Content & Privacy Restrictions> Allowed Apps and make sure that both Camera and the FaceTime app have all the permissions they need to operate.
- Set time zone appropriately according to your location.
- Update your device to latest iOS version.
- Restart your device.
3: FaceTime Unavailable
The message FaceTime Unavailable means that there is a factor which is restricting you from making the calls. Users often search why won’t my FaceTime work, and the main reasons are:
- Your country or region prevents iPhone users from using FaceTime.
- Devices purchased in countries like UAE, Saudi Arabia, etc. are not allowed to use FaceTime.
- You have poor connection or wrong device settings.
- FaceTime is unavailable when you switch calls.
No matter what problem you are facing, there are some common fixes for all of them.
- Check and verify that the country you are in doesn’t have any restriction over the use of FaceTime app.
- Check the FaceTime & Restriction Settings.
- Reset Network settings inside Settings> General> Reset> Reset Network settings to restore the default settings for the device. Or you can select the Reset All Settings option as you see fit.
4. FaceTime Not Working on Mac
Recently, many users reported about FaceTime isn’t working on Mac. Some users aren’t able to sign in to FaceTime and some are facing problems related to the camera.
Here’s what you need to do to fix FaceTime not working on Mac problem
- If you can’t sign in to FaceTime, then make sure that you’re using the right Apple ID for sign-in and you’ve updated your system to the latest software available.
- Also, make sure that date and time settings are correct. To check it, go to “Apple Menu”>” System Preferences”>” Select “Date & Time” and choose “Set date and time automatically”.
- If your camera doesn’t work, then you can quit FaceTime and in a while, relaunch it again. Or you can try to restart your Mac. Or quit all camera-dependent apps.
- If you’ve multiple cameras connected to your Mac system, then check the “Video” menu in the menu bar of the FaceTime to ensure that you have the correct camera selected.
- If there is a problem with the connection, then make sure that you’re using the strong Wi-Fi connection.
5. FaceTime Activation Error
As you might know that you need to activate FaceTime on your iPhone/iPad to use it. And you could experience Facetime activation error while activating FaceTime on your device.
Here's what you can do to fix this problem
- Make sure that you’re connected to some reliable Wi-Fi or cellular network. Else, you can try to switch off and on Wi-Fi for several minutes.
- Ensure that the time zone on your device is set correctly. To do so, go to “Settings”>” General”>” Date & Time.
- You can try to turn off FaceTime and restart it. To do so, go to “Settings”>” FaceTime”. Here, turn off it and turn it back on in a while.
- Reboot your device.
6. FaceTime Camera Not Working
Recently, many users reported about FaceTime camera not working problem and they can’t see the image, but could hear the voice while making FaceTime video call. Or you might see a message saying “No Camera Available” on your iPhone.
Here’s what you can do to fix this specific problem
- Make sure that your iPhone is updated to latest iOS version available. Go to the “Settings”>” General”>” Software Update”.
- Close and quit all camera-dependent apps on your device.
7. FaceTime Not Connecting
Sometimes, FaceTime gets stuck on the screen with “Connecting” message, or stay there indefinitely without a connection, dropping a FaceTime video chat instantly. And this problem you can face while using either FaceTime Video or Audio calls on Mac or iPhone/iPad.
Here’s what you can do to resolve FaceTime not connecting errors
- Make sure that your device is connected to a strong and reliable cellular or Wi-Fi internet connection.
- Update iOS/Mac OS X to the latest version available. To do that on iOS, go to "Settings”> "General"> "Software Update". To do that on Mac OS: go to "Apple Menu"> " Software Update".
- Try to reset network settings on your iPhone/iPad. So, just go to the "Settings"> " General"> "Reset"> "Reset Network Settings".
Part 3: Fix FaceTime Not working on iPhone/iPad with iOS System Repair Tool
Upon this point, you must be tired of looking for tips on why won’t my FaceTime work. Well, here your search comes to end as we have a permanent solution for your problem, i.e. UltFone iOS System Repair. This system repair tool is so effective that it can fix all kinds of software issue on iOS devices. So, instead of looking for some temporary fix, try using UltFone iOS System Repair and it will eliminate all the issues from your device and make sure that it performs optimally.
To use UltFone iOS System Repair, you have to download it from the official website and install it properly on your computer. Once the set up is complete, follow the steps below to resolve FaceTime camera not working on iPhone/iPad issue.
Step 1 Run the program and connect your device which is having issues with the computer. Select the Repair Operating System mode and move forward with the repair process.
Step 2 To start the repair process, click on the Fix Now button on the screen and run a standard repair. You can also switch to deep repair mode for better results. But keep this mind that deep repair mode will erase data on your device.
Step 3 Prior to the repair process, the software will prompt you to download a firmware package for your device. The software will detect the device iOS version and provide a suitable file for the device.
Step 4 As the download or import finishes, click on the Repair Now button and the software will initiate the repair sequence.
As the file is big, it will take a while to finish the download. Users can also import the package if they already have it on their system.
It is advised not to use the device during the process and when the repair is done, UltFone iOS System Repair will notify you. When the device reboots, it will function without any problem and the FaceTime camera will be in top-class condition. The users can also use UltFone iOS System Repair to fix other iOS issues including a device stuck in recovery mode, black screen, Apple logo, a frozen screen, etc.
That’s all on how to fix Facetime not working on iPhone X/XR/11/11Pro or even Mac. As the facing problems while using FaceTime aren’t rate and that’s why several tips available to fix them. If all the common solutions fail to resolve your problem, then you can use the UltFone iOS System Repair. The tool will repair your device system to fix the Facetime problem you’re facing.