Why Is iOS 17 AirDrop Not Working? Here's The Fixes
AirDrop is not working after new iOS 17 update. After updating both my phone and iPad to the iOS 17, my airdrop has been giving me problems. Although my iPad can airdrop to other people’s phone it cannot airdrop to my phone. And my phone does not pick up on my iPad nor any other devices.
Imagine the convenience of wirelessly sharing files, photos, and memories with your friends and family using AirDrop on your iOS device. Now, picture the frustration when this seamless experience comes to a screeching halt due to AirDrop not working on iOS 17. It's a common issue reported by many users, but fear not.
In this article, we'll delve into the reasons behind iOS 17 AirDrop issues and guide you through troubleshooting steps and solutions to get your AirDrop back on track. Say goodbye to file-sharing woes as we explore how to resolve the iOS 17 AirDrop not working problem and restore the effortless sharing experience you love.
- Part 1. Why is My iPhone AirDrop Not Working?
- Part 2. What to Do if iOS 17 Not Working? 6 Tips
- Things You Should Know about Device Compatibility
- Tip 1. Toggle Bluetooth and Wi-Fi Off and Back On
- Tip 2. Reset Network Settings
- Tip 3. Sign Out and Then Sign Into Apple ID
- Tip 4. Restart Your iPhone
- Tip 5. Check iPhone Software (Update iOS)
- Tip 6. Restore iOS without Data Loss [Fastest & Easiest Way]
- A Bonus Tip: Transfer iOS Data with Airdrop Alternative
Part 1. Why is My iPhone AirDrop Not Working?
The issue might arise due to the absence of active Bluetooth or Wi-Fi on one of the devices or because the personal hotspot remains enabled. These straightforward factors can lead to AirDrop being stuck in a waiting state or hinder the sharing of files.
Make sure that both devices are within the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth range. To address the issue of AirDrop not functioning correctly on iOS 16, consider bringing both devices closer together. Since AirDrop relies on Bluetooth, it operates within a range of 10 meters or 33 feet. This is the distance within which your iPhones can exchange files seamlessly.
Part 2. What to Do if iOS 17 Not Working?
Things You Should Know about Device Compatibility
Before we try out any fix to resolve the problem, at first, we have to understand why AirDrop is not working on iPhone. The most probable reason is compatibility. As older devices are not compatible with AirDrop, you won't be able to use the feature on those devices. So, make sure that your iPhone and Mac versions support AirDrop. The compatibility list includes:
- MacBook using OS X Yosemite or later (excluding the Mac Pro 2012 version)
- iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch running on iOS 7 or later
If you are using AirDrop to establish a connection between Macs, then the requirements are:
- MacBook Pro (2008 and later version), excluding MacBook Pro- 17 inch, late 2008 version
- MacBook Air (2010 or later)
- MacBook (2008 and later version), excluding white MacBook
- iMac (2009 or later)
- Mac Mini (2010 or later)
- Mac Pro (2009 model with AirPort Extreme Card)
- iMac Pro (all models)
Apart from all the listed models, the AirDrop feature won't work with older devices. Hence, you need to ensure that the device you intend to use is compatible with AirDrop.
Tip 1. Toggle Bluetooth and Wi-Fi Off and Back On
The first tip to resolve the AirDrop not working on iPhone 7/8/X error is turning Bluetooth and Wi-Fi feature off. Slide your finger in the upward direction to open the control center. There you will see the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi icons. Tap on them one by one to turn them off.
Wait for a while, and then turn them on. Now, try again to use AirDrop and see if the problem is still there.
Tip 2. Reset Network Settings
Sometimes, the AirDrop not working on iPhone 7 is a problem that we get because of some random bug. While other times, the device settings may interrupt the connection. It means that you won't be able to connect your iPhone with other iPhones or MacBooks. Hence, resetting network settings is the next resort.
Click on the Settings app from the home screen and navigate as General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
Enter the device passcode if prompted and confirm the reset. Wait for the process to finish and try again to use AirDrop.
Tip 3. Sign Out and Then Sign Into Apple ID
The next fix to try when AirDrop on iPhone 8 is not working is to re-sign in to the Apple ID. There are maximum chances that this tip will do the trick.
- Step 1: Open Settings and click on your name. Go to iCloud and log out from your iCloud account.
Step 2: Close the app and then re-launch it. Now, again head to Settings and login to your iCloud.
If the AirDrop problem still persists, then try the next tip.
Tip 4. Restart Your iPhone
A simple restart can sometimes do the trick to resolve problems like AirDrop not working on iPhone 11. It will remove the bugs from the system that might be preventing or halting the connection.
Here are the steps to restart different iPhone models:
iPhone 8 or later: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.
iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold both the Side (or Top) button and the Volume Down button until you see the Apple logo.
iPhone 6s or earlier: Press and hold both the Side (or Top) button and the Home button until you see the Apple logo.
Hold the power button for a while until the slider appears on the screen. Now, drag the slider to the right side and turn your device off. Wait for a couple of minutes and then restart your device using the power button.
Tip 5. Check iPhone Software (Update iOS)
One significant reason that can lead to AirDrop not working after iOS 13 update error is an outdated software version. So, ensure that you have the latest iOS installed on your device.
Step 1: Open Settings > General > Software Update. Check if any software update available for your device. If yes, then update the device immediately.
Once the iOS version is updated, you can again try to use the AirDrop feature and see if it works correctly.
Tip 6. Restore iOS without Data Loss [Fastest & Easiest Way]
When no other method seems to work to get rid of the AirDrop stopping working on iPhone problem, the best way is to use professional iOS repair tool like UltFone iOS System Repair. This software will allow the users to repair iOS 17 AirDrop not working and improve device performance as well. And the most remarkable thing is that it can repair the iOS with all data intact.
Here is the step-by-step guide that you need to follow to operate the device:
- Step 1Download and install UltFone iOS System Repair on your Windows or Mac computer. Launch the program. Connect your iPhone to your computer using a USB cable. The program will automatically detect your device.
- Step 2From the main screen, select “Standard Repair” mode. This will scan your device and identify any system issues causing iOS 17 airdrop problems.
- Step 3UltFone will download the latest iOS firmware for your iPhone model. Wait for this process to finish.
- Step 4Click “Start Standard Repair” to safely repair your iOS without data loss. This will put your iPhone into recovery mode temporarily.
- Step 5Wait several minutes for the repair process to complete. UltFone will then reboot your iPhone back to normal. And your airdrop not working iphone 13 have been fixed.
A Bonus Tip: Transfer iOS Data with Airdrop Alternative
When the AirDrop is not working from iPhone to Mac, there is an alternative that you can use to transfer the files without any hassle. It is UltFone iOS Data Manager that can help you in the task. It can not only transfer files but also allows the users to manage the device.
If you are wondering why you should choose a third-party app over AirDrop, then we have several reasons. Here are the advantages that UltFone iOS Data Manager offers to make it a better tool for Apple devices:
- Unlike AirDrop, this iOS Data Transfer tool allows photo transfer.
- The use of AirDrop is limited to Apple devices, whereas this software allows transfer across the different operating systems.
- Users can use the other features such as Backup & Restore, Transfer, Manage, and Repair.
The guide below will help you to transfer the files from iPhone to Mac:
Step 1: Download and install the software on your computer and launch it after installation. By default, the home tab will open up, and you will have to switch to the "Manage" tab.
Step 2: Now, you will see all the data types supported by the software. Select the files that you wanted to transfer via AirDrop and click on the Export button.
Step 3: Specify the location where you want to save the files and confirm the action.
All the files will be downloaded on your system safely. While you are saving the files, make sure that they are in the correct format.
The Bottom Line
Hopefully, now you understand what you should do to fix the AirDrop not working iOS 16/15 on iPhone problem. With the help of UltFone iOS System Reapir, you can fix airdrop issues without data loss. And if you’d like to find a more flexible and faster tool for files transfer, UltFone iOS Data Manager is a good choice.