PowerPoint Recovery: How to Recover Unsaved PowerPoint on Mac
Many people use Mac office tools, especially PowerPoint to make presentations on a daily basis. Unfortunately, there are situations when you end up deleting your important work by mistake. More importantly, you forget to save your PowerPoint files. In such situations, all you want to know how to recover unsaved PowerPoint on Mac. Isn’t, it right?
That’s why we come up with various methods to help you get back your unsaved PowerPoint on Mac without much trouble.
- Part 1: Can You Recover Unsaved Powerpoint Documents on Mac?
- Part 2: How to Recover Unsaved Powerpoint on Mac?
- Part 3: How to Recover Lost Powerpoint on Mac?
Part 1: Can You Recover Unsaved Powerpoint Documents on Mac?
If you’re one of those users who wonder “is it possible to restore unsaved PowerPoint files on Mac”, then the simple answer is YES. No doubt, it is quite frustrating when you forget to save your important work after finishing it. But, the good news is that there are ways in which recovery of unsaved PowerPoint documents is possible.
One thing you need to note that recovering deleted or lost PowerPoint files is quite different from recovering unsaved PowerPoint files, which is quite complex. But, you can do so with ease if you have a little bit knowledge about data recovery on Mac.
Part 2: How to Recover Unsaved Powerpoint on Mac?
Following are all possible methods you can try to recover unsaved PowerPoint Mac 2016/2018. Let’s give a closure look at them:
- Method 1: Recover Unsaved PowerPoint from AutoRecover Folder
- Method 2: How to Recover an Unsaved Powerpoint from Temp Folder
- Method 3: How to Recover Previous Version of Powerpoint File on Mac
- Method 4: How to Recover Deleted Powerponit From Mac Trash
Method 1: Recover Unsaved PowerPoint from AutoRecover Folder
AutoRecover is a built-in feature available in Microsoft office and it enables users to restore their PPT files after a sudden system crash or any unexpected event on computer. This feature saves a copy of your file in the background after every ten minutes by default. That’s why it is possible to locate the backup of your target PowerPoint file in the AutoRecover folder.
Generally, Microsoft office will recover your PPT file next time you try to open it after a system crash. In this way, it enables you to save your work on Mac. But, if that doesn’t happen in your case, then follow the below steps to find the AutoRecover folder manually on your Mac:
- 1. To begin with, tap Go>Go to Folder or you can press “Shift + Command + G”.
2. Now, you need to type folder path - /Users/username/Library/Containers/com.Microsoft.Powerpoint/Data/Library/Preferences/AutoRecovery. Here, just replace “username” with your username.
- 3. If you are able to locate the target PPT file you need, just open it using Microsoft office to save it on your Mac.
Keep in mind that if you unsaved your file by tapping “Don’t Save”, then the AutoRecovered files will be deleted as Office assumes that there is nothing wrong and you don’t need AutoRecover file.
Method 2: How to Recover an Unsaved Powerpoint from Temp Folder
If you don’t find the desired PowerPoint file in the AutoRecover folder, then you can try to restore your unsaved file from Temp folder.
Here’s how to recover unsaved Powerpoint Mac from Temp folder:
- Step 1: To start with, open Applications>Utilities. Here, double-tap Terminal to run it.
- Step 2: Now, you need to type - open $TMPDIR. This will take you to the TMP folder that stored temporary files.
Step 3: In the TMP folder, locate and open the “TemporaryItems” folder. Once opening it, right-tap the target unsaved PowerPoint file to open it via Microsoft PowerPoint.
Pic 2. open temporary folder
- Step 4: Finally, save the file by tapping on File>Save As.
Method 3: How to Recover Previous Version of Powerpoint File on Mac
The Microsoft PowerPoint save all PowerPoint versions automatically whenever users open, close or duplicate or delete it. Thus, you can try to recover the previous version of PowerPoint file Mac and here’s how to do so:
Step 1: Open the PowerPoint file latest version and click on “File”>” Revert To>” Browse All Versions”.
Step 2: Now, you will get to see all versions of your unsaved PowerPoint file.
Step 3: Just locate the previous version of the file you would like to restore.
Step 4: Finally, you have two options - copy the previous PowerPoint version to your computer and give a new name to avoid overwritten by tapping “Restore to Copy” or recover previous PowerPoint version on Mac by choosing and tapping “Restore”.
Method 4: How to Recover Deleted Powerponit From Mac Trash
Maybe some new Mac users don't know that deleted files are just moved to Mac trash instead of being deleted permanently. It means that you can still recover them from the Mac trash if you don't manually remove them in the trash.
- 1. Click trash bin on your Mac.
- 2. Click toolbar and you will find the Powerpoint that you deleted.
- 3. Right click the Powerpoint that you want to recover and select "Put back". Then, you will find the Powerpoint is on your Mac.
Part 3: How to Recover Lost Powerpoint on Mac?
If you’re looking for a way to recover deleted or lost PowerPoint file on Mac, then UltFone Mac Data Recovery can help you do so. It is reliable and ultimate software you can use to rescue the important PowerPoint files you lost somehow on Mac. It is capable of recovering the data under various data loss situations including accidental deletion, virus attack, file corruption and much more.
Key Features of UltFone Mac Data Recovery:
- Recover 1000+ types of files including PowerPoint, Excel and videos on Mac with 3 steps.
- Recover data from Mac hard drive, memory card, and external drive, etc.
- Recover from hardware failur/human erros/file corruption.
- Compatible with all versions from macOS 10.10 to macOS 10.16 (Big Sur).
Get UltFone Mac Data Recovery from its official site and follow the below steps to learn how to recover deleted/lost PowerPoint file on Mac:
Step 1 Once installing the software, run it on your computer and select the location from where you lost your file. Then, click the “Scan” button to continue.
Step 2 Now, the software will begin the scan process to look for lost files on the selected location. The process may take several minutes to complete.
Step 3 Once the scan completes, preview recoverable data and select the target files you want to recover. Finally, hit the “Recover” button to get them back on your Mac.
While saving the recoverable data, don’t save them to the same location from where you lost in the first place. Instead, pick another safe location.
The Bottom Line
We hope that this guide has helped you learn how to recover an unsaved PowerPoint on Mac with ease. But, if it’s about recovering deleted or lost PowerPoint files on Mac, then UltFone Mac Data Recovery is the most recommended solution. This software also helps you recover other files types (like videos, photoset) besides PowerPoint files. So, give a try to it now.