Android Running Slow and Freezing? Here are Tips to Speed up Your Android Phone
Android phones have indeed made our lives a lot easier. Nowadays, people are purchasing Android phones and tablets more because it comes with super-fast processors, great storage and RAM options. But with time, people often come across the issue of Android phone running slow over time and left them wondering why is my Android running so slow?
If you are facing the same issue, continue reading to learn tips to speed up Android phone.
Part 1. Why Is My Phone So Slow All Of A Sudden?
Before knowing the tips to fix the issue of Android running slow and freezing, you must know the reasons behind it. Here are some common reasons:
- Having an old and aging battery
- Having little or no storage space left
- Running multiple applications or programs at the same time
- Using an old operating system
- Other hardware issues
Now, let’s move to the pivotal part of the post to learn about several ways to fix Android phone running slow and freezing issue.
Part 2. How to Speed Up A Slow Android Phone?
Having a slow-running Android mobile or tablet can totally ruin the experience, but thankfully, you can speed up a sluggish Android phone in no time with the following tips.
1. Restart Your Device
The very first thing to try to resolve the Android lagging and freezing issue is restarting your device. To do so, follow the below steps:
- Press the power button for around 25 to 30 seconds or until a popup menu appears.
- You will find three or four options in the menu, i.e., Silent Mode, Restart/Reboot, Power Off, and more.
- Tap on the “Restart/Reboot” option to restart your android device.
2. Check for Android Software Updates
If you find your Android device working slow, it may need a software update. Often mobile phones and tablets turn slow when they are running on old software. So, to fix the Android phone lagging issue, updating your device’s software can help you. Before updating your device, make sure that you have a backup of all your important files.
Follow these steps to update the software of your Android device.
- Step 1: Make sure that your device is well connected to a Wi-Fi network.
- Step 2: Go to the Setting option on your device.
- Step 3: Click on the About device option and tap on the Software update option.
Step 4: Tap on the Check for updates and tap on the Update/Download & Install option.
In these simple steps, you will be able to install the latest software update on your android device.
3. Check for App Updates
It is possible that you have an older version of applications in your Android device that is causing your device to slow down.
In order to check app updates on your mobile, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Step 1: On your device, open the Google Play Store.
- Step 2: On the upper left corner, you will find three horizontal lines. Click on them.
- Step 3: Click on the My apps and games option.
Step 4. In the Update tab, click on the Update all options. To update each application manually, tap on the app you want to update and click on the Update option.
4. Clear Caches
One of the reasons for why is my Android running slow could also be possible due to unwanted cache files. It is because when the cache memory gets full, it can result in slowing your phone or tablet. So, you can try clearing the cache for individual apps and cache of Google chrome.
Here is how you can clear caches for individual application:
- Step 1: Go to the Settings app on your device.
- Step 2. Find Apps menu > Installed Applications.
- Step 3. You will come across a list of multiple apps on your device. Click on the app that you want to clear the app of.
- Step 4: Select it and move to the Storage tab.
Step 5. Tap on Clear Data / Clear Cache.
Clear Cache on Chrome app:
- Step 1: Open Google Chrome app on your device and click on the three dots icon given next to the address bar of the browser.
- Step 2: Click on the History option and then tap on the Clear browsing data option.
- Step 3: Choose the time for data deletion as you can delete the cache memory of an hour ago or go to an older time range.
Step 4: Click on the “Cached images and files” box and click on the “Clear data” option.
After clearing the cache memory of individual applications and Google Chrome, you should be able to resolve the issue of the Android tablet running slow and freezing.
5. Check Device Storage
Remember that it is not a great idea to keep the storage of your device full because it can become the reason behind why is my phone so slow all of a sudden. Generally, when the Android device has less than 10 percent of free storage, it can create problems in your device. You can check the available storage in this way:
Go to Home Screen > tap on the Apps icon > select Settings > choose System > tap on Storage > Click on Device storage
If you find that your android device is running low on storage, consider freeing up some space.
6. Uninstall Unused Apps
Uninstall unused applications from your android device as it can help you save storage space and help you speed up your device. Here is how to do so:
- Long press the desired application until a shortcut popup menu appears.
- In the app info, click on the “Uninstall” option to remove the app permanently from the device
7. Restart Android in Safe Mode
If you are still thinking about why my Android phone is running slow, then you should restart the device in safe mode. This method can help you determine whether the third-party apps you have installed are causing the issue as third-party apps get disabled in the safe mode. Therefore, if your device works great in safe mode, you know the reason behind the slow speed of your device.
- Step 1: Long press the Power button or until you see the power menu screen.
- Step 2: Click on the Power off option and wait until you see the Safe Mode option.
Step 3: Tap on OK button to confirm your choice, and your device will restart in safe mode.
To enter into the normal mode again, turn off the device and then switch it on again. If your device is having no problem in safe mode, delete third-party apps you have recently installed in order to speed up Android phone.
8. Repair Android System
If none of the above methods helps you in resolving the issue of phone running slow after Android update, don’t hesitate to try UltFone Android System Repair to fix the system related problems. Sometimes, your device is slow and freezing due to system malfunction. This professional Android system recovery software will solve 150+ system issues by reinstalling a new Android firmware package to your phone without data loss.
Here is how you can fix Android running slow with UltFone Android System Repair:
Download and run this software to a PC, and then connect your device to computer via a USB cable.
Step 1 Firstly, you can click “One-Click to Clear System Cache” on the main interface. This function will remove all system cache in a click. So, your phone will back to normal if the sluggish is due to corrupted system cache.
Step 2 If clearing the cache does not help a log to the slow phone, then you can select “Repair Android System” function to fix Android to normal.
Step 3 You need to provide the correct device info for the connected phone, and then the software will download a compatible firmware package.
Step 4 With the firmware package, this program will reinstall it to your phone by eliminate any system glitch.
9. Reset Android to Factory Settings
This is the last resort that you can try to fix Android slow issue. Remember that all the data from your device will be erased after a factory reset, so consider taking a backup beforehand.
Here’s how you can perform a factory reset on your Android device:
- Step 1: Turn off your android device.
- Step 2: Reboot the device into recovery mode. You can learn more about how to enter Android recovery mode.
- Step 3: After entering the recovery mode, press the volume keys to highlight the “Wipe data/ factory reset” option.
Step 4: Press the power button to enter and select the option.
The Bottom Line
That is all about the reasons for Android running slow and the ways to speed up a slow Android phone. All the tips mentioned above are worth trying. If the common tips do not work and you don’t want to factory your phone, the professional third-party Android System Repair software is the top one choice as it aims to solve Android system problem without data loss.