How to Enter and Exit Android Download Mode/Odin Mode?
I'm working on Samsung Galaxy Tab tablets. I have not being able to find the answer to this very simple question: Is Download Mode Samsung's Bootloader? If not what is the difference?
Android devices come with different booting modes such as Recover mode, Safe Mode, and more. In addition to these modes, there is also the Android Download mode. Samsung users may call it Odin Mode. Nevertheless, Android Download or Odin mode is an advanced mode apt for advanced users who experiments with their devices and systems to discover hidden potentials. If you’re on this page, it implies that you want to enter download mode on your device. Or it could be that you have used it but failed to exit the mode. No matter what your scenario is, read on. In this post, we’ll walk you through how to enter and exit download mode on Android devices in detail.
- Part 1. What Is Download Mode in Android/Samsung?
- Part 2. Difference between Bootloader, Download, and Recovery Mode
- Part 3. The Best Free Android Download Mode Tool to Enter/Exit Download Mode
- Part 4. Enter Samsung Download Mode using Key Combinations
- Part 5. How to Enter Download Mode on LG Phones?
- Part 6. How to Exit Android Download Mode?
- Part 7. How to Fix Android Stuck In Download Mode
Part 1. What Is Download Mode in Android/Samsung?
While most Android smartphones come with a regular bootloader and fastboot mode, OEMs such as Samsung and LG devices entails the Download mode.
All smartphones with the Download mode provide support for firmware flashing through a manufacturer-specific official program like Samsung Odin and LG Flash tool. That’s why the Samsung Download mode is also called the Odin mode. When entered this mode, your Samsung device can download firmware binaries via the Odin program. Flashing the firmware files to your Android device can help you recover your device from a boot loop, download/update software, and restore it to stock.
Part 2. Difference between Bootloader, Download, and Recovery Mode
As we mentioned before, Android devices come with numerous different modes and the most common ones you’ll hear are Bootloader, download, and recovery mode. There is a significant difference between them. So, let’s know what it is before you learn how to enter and exit your Galaxy S7 download mode.
- Bootloader is a software that runs each and every time your device starts up. It tells the device what programs/applications to load to make your device run. In short, it starts up your device’s operating system when switching on the device.
- Download mode aims at downloading packages or firmware in Android devices. It’s a state used for updating system or ROM flashing in the Android device.
- Recovery mode can help you gain access to some core functioning in the Android device, for instance, resetting the device, installing updates, data cleaning, backup and restore data, etc. The mode is commonly used when the Android device isn’t acting correctly.
As you can now see that the purpose of each mode is different, so you should use it in accordance with the unique situation.
Part 3. The Best Free Android Download Mode Tool to Enter/Exit Download Mode
If you want a one-click solution to enter or exit download mode on Samsung/Android devices, then look no further from Tenorshare ReiBoot for Android. The tool has a very straightforward process to enter and exit the Android download mode for free. On top of all, it works on any Android device. So, no more hassle of going through complex steps to enter/exit download mode on your Android smartphone when you can simply use ReiBoot.
Steps to Enter Android Download Mode:
Step 1. Connect your device to computer via USB cable. On the main interface of this program, select “Enter Download Mode”.
Step 2. Once your device is connected successfully, just follow the onscreen instructions to get your device into the download mode.
Steps to Exit Android Download Mode:
If your device is stuck in download mode, you can connect it to computer via the USB cable. And open UltFone Android System Repair on the computer. The “One Click to Exit Download Mode” is highlighted. Click it and wait for a while to get your device to normal.
Part 4. Enter Samsung Download Mode using Key Combinations
You can enter download mode on your Samsung device using key combinations. It is indeed the most common method to enter Samsung download mode but the process varies from one device to another.
1. On Samsung Devices with Home, Power and Volume Keys (Galaxy S5, Galaxy S6, Galaxy S7/S7 Edge, etc.)
If it’s about how to enter Samsung Galaxy S7 download mode or other models as well such as Galaxy S2/S3/S4/S5/S6/S7 Edge/Note/Note 2/Note 3/Note 4/Note 5/Note 7, etc, then follow the below steps:
- Step 1: Switch off your device.
- Step 2: Press and hold down the Home, Volume Down, and Power keys at the same time for around 2-3 seconds.
Step 3: Release the buttons and then press the Volume Up key to enter the Download mode.
2. On Samsung Devices with Power and Volume Keys (Samsung Galaxy A8)
If you’re using a Samsung Galaxy A8 device with Power and Volume keys, then follow the below steps to enter Samsung Odin mode.
- Step 1: Turn off your device.
Step 2: Press and hold down the Volume Down, Volume Up, and Power keys at once for around 2-3 seconds to enter the download mode.
3. On Samsung Devices with Power, Bixby, and Volume Keys (Galaxy S8, Galaxy S9, Galaxy S10, Galaxy Note 9)
For Samsung devices such as Galaxy S8/S9/S10/ Note 9, etc has Power, Volume, and Bixby keys, follow the below steps to enter the download mode:
- Step 1: Switch off your device.
- Step 2: Press and hold down the Volume Down, Power, and Bixby keys at the same time for about 2-3 seconds.
Step 3: You’ll be asked to press the Volume Up key, so do it.
4. On Samsung Devices with Volume and Power-cum-Bixby Keys (Galaxy S20, Galaxy Note 10, Galaxy A90, Galaxy A80)
Samsung devices such as Galaxy S20/Note 10/A90/A80/A70/A50/A40, etc comes with Volume and Power-cum-Bixby Keys. It implies that Samsung has merged the Power and Bixby keys. On such devices, follow the below steps to enter the download mode.
- Step 1: Turn off your device.
- Step 2: Press and hold down the Power and Volume Up keys at once for about 4 to 5 seconds.
- Step 3: Your smartphone will boot into the Recovery Mode. Use the Volume/Up down button to navigate and use the Power key to choose options in the Recovery mode.
Step 4: Choose the “Reboot to bootloader” option in the recovery menu.
- Step 5: Your device will soon boot into the Odin or Download mode.
Part 5. How to Enter Download Mode on LG Phones?
Follow the below steps to enter download mode on LG devices:
- Step 1: Turn off your device.
- Step 2: Press and hold down the Volume Up key.
- Step 3: Connect your device to the computer with the help of a digital cable.
Step 4: In a while, you’ll see that the device has entered the download mode. You can now start flashing with the LG Flash Tool.
You can follow the above steps on almost every LG device.
Part 6. How to Exit Android Download Mode?
Is your Samsung S6 stuck in download mode? Don’t know how to get out of Android download mode? No worries!! After learning how to get into download mode on Android devices, you must know the process to come out of it as well. There are three common ways to get out of the Android download mode, so let’s have a look.
Way 1. Force Restart the Device
Try to force restart your device.
- Press the Volume and Power key at the same time.
- Continue holding them for 20 seconds until you sense vibration and the screen turns off.
- Let go of buttons once your device turns on.
Way 2. Force Shut Down Your Device
For Samsung smartphones that come with a removable battery, this method will definitely work. So, if you have one, follow the below steps to come out of download mode.
- Take out the back panel of your phone.
- Carefully eject the battery while the phone is still turned on and in download mode.
- Wait for around 5 to 7 seconds and put the battery back in, connect the back panel, and switch on your device by pressing and holding the Power button until you sense a vibration.
Way 3. Using Odin Flash Tool
To come out of the Samsung Galaxy S3 download mode, using the Odin flash tool is recommended. Indeed, this method is ideal to get any Samsung device out of the Download mode. It entails using the Odin flash tool on your PC with the right firmware settings and device configuration.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Step 1: Right-tap the Odin flash tool installer and launch it with “Run as administrator”.
- Step 2: Connect your phone to the PC with the help of a digital cable. The tool will detect your phone automatically. The Odin flash tool will display a message saying “Added” when the phone is added.
Step 3: Tap the “PDA or AP” option and then tap the start option to come out of the download mode.
That’s how to get out of Odin mode using the Odin flash tool on Samsung devices.
Part 7. How to Fix Android Stuck In Download Mode
Is your Android stuck in Download mode and failed to exit download mode using normal methods like force restart? No worries!! Tenorshare ReiBoot for Android is designed specially to address and resolve such issues in the most hassle-free manner. You can have your Android device working to normal with just a few clicks of a button thanks to the software’s “Repair Android System” feature. This feature repairs your device deeply to help you get out of download mode.
Here’s how to fix Android stuck in download mode using ReiBoot for Android:
Step 1 Run the program, connect your device to the computer, and choose “Repair Android System” from the main interface.
Step 2 On the next screen, hit the “Repair Now” button.
Step 3 Enter the correct device information and let the software download the suitable firmware package for your device.
Step 4 Upon successfully downloading the package, hit the “Repair Now” button to begin repairing your device and that’s it.
The Bottom Line
That’s all on how to enter and exit Android download mode. As you can clearly see that Tenorshare ReiBoot for Android has made the job of entering or exiting download mode on Android devices quite easier and quicker. With just one click, the job is done. Moreover, the tool even comes to the rescue when you’re stuck in download mode. It’s free to use. So, give it a try!!