How to Update WhatsApp on Android Phone and Tablet
Popular messaging app WhatsApp rolls out new releases that come with new features such as WhatsApp Status and WhatsApp video calls among others. These features can only be accessed if the user updates to the latest version of WhatsApp. Besides that, updating the app improves its performance and fixes bugs and hitches. For example, if you are encountering WhatsApp closes automatically when opening chat, the first step is to check whether your WhatsApp needs an update. This article details how to update WhatsApp on Android phone (Samsung, LG, Sony, Huawei, Google Nexus, etc.) with or without the Play Store and addresses issues users encounter when updating the app along with possible solutions.
- Part 1: How to Update WhatsApp on Android using WhatsApp
- Part 2: Update WhatsApp using Play Store
- Part 3: How to Update WhatsApp without Play Store
- Part 4: Common Problems when Downloading or Updating WhatsApp
Thinking of how to update WhatsApp on Samsung? Since Samsung devices run on the Android OS, updating WhatsApp on Android is similar to updating it on Samsung. Follow the procedure below.
- Step 1: Launch WhatsApp.
- Step 2: Navigate to Options > Settings.
- Step 3: Tap "Check for update".
Step 4: Follow the prompts and install the update.
You can also update WhatsApp directly from Google Play Store by following the procedure below.
- Step 1: Launch the Google Play Store app on your phone.
- Step 2: Select "My apps & games".
- Step 3: On the "Installed" tab, check if WhatsApp has an update.
- Step 4: Tap WhatsApp then the "Update" button.
If, your Play Store isn't working or for whatever other reason, you can't update WhatsApp using the Play Store, follow the steps outlined below. You don't have to uninstall the WhatsApp version running on your phone, the APK file will override the previous version.
Step 1: Launch Settings, tap "Security" then "Unknown Sources" and enable the option by checking it.
Step 2: Download the latest WhatsApp Messenger APK from a trusted and secure source. If unsure, download it from the official WhatsApp website.
Step 3: Begin the installation process by tapping the WhatsApp Messenger APK file.
You will have successfully updated WhatsApp. Be sure to navigate to Settings > Security > Unknown Sources and disable it for security purposes.
Problem 1: How to Fix Error Codes: 413, 481, 491, 492, 921, 927, 941 and DF-DLA-15
Resolve any of the error codes above by following the procedure below.
- Step 1: Navigate to Settings > Accounts > Google and tap your account.
- Step 2: Tao the Menu button located at the top right corner and select "Remove account".
Step 3: Restart your device and add your account by going to Settings > Accounts > Add Account.
Step 4: Navigate to Settings > Applications > Google Play Store > Storage > Clear Cache then "Clear Data".
Step 5: Download WhatsApp again.
Problem 2: Error codes: 101, 498 and 919 and Insufficient Space on the Device
Step 1: Go to Settings > Applications > Google Play Store > Storage.
Step 2: Clear Data and Clear Cache.
Step 3: Restart your device.
Step 4: Install WhatsApp afresh.
Problem 3: 403, 495, 504, 911, 920, 923, RPC errors, invalid package file, installation or download unsuccessful errors
- Step 1: Follow the instructions outlined in the solution to Problem 2 above.
- Step 2: Download the WhatsApp APK file using this link.
- Step 3: Ensure you've enabled unknown sources by navigating to Settings > Security > Unknown Sources then check the option.
- Step 4: Tap the file to begin the installation.
That's all about how to update WhatsApp on Android phone. And if you encounter the update errors and unfortunately lost important WhatsApp messages, Android Data Recovery is here to recover lost WhatsApp (text messages, photos, videos, audios) on your Android phone.