How to Drag and Drop Files between Apps in iOS 16
- Jerry Cook
- Updated on 2022-08-17 to  iOS 15
The Drag and Drop feature sounds interesting, right? Well, it is!! With easy-to-use drag and drop iOS 16, moving files from one place to another in your iPhone becomes smooth like never before. You can simply pick up the desired files like images, videos, texts, etc., that you wish to move across the applications and then drop them all at once at the desired location.
This multitasking feature of iOS devices is helpful, and you will be delighted to know that Apple now allow users to drag and drop images, text, and documents from one app to another in iOS 16. So, if you are unaware of how to drag and drop on your iPhone, then we have got you covered with this guide. Here, we will walk you through an easy-to-use guide that will help you learn how to drag and drop files and screenshots in iOS 16. In addition to this, we will also let you know effective methods to fix iOS 16 drag and drop not working.
- Part 1: How to Drag and Drop Files In iOS 16 on iPhone
- Part 2: How to Drag and Drop Screenshots in iOS 16 iPhone
- Part 3: iOS 16 Drag and Drop Not Working?
Part 1: How to Drag and Drop Files In iOS 16 on iPhone
The drag and drop feature in iOS was released in 2017 in iOS 11 and worked only on iPad, but now with the last-year iOS 15 update, the drag and drop feature is available to use on iPhones as well. So, if you have updated to the latest version of iOS 16 on your iPhone but don't know how to drag and drop photos to iPhone works, then refer to the guide below.
Step 1: To drag and drop a file on an iPhone running iOS 16, press and hold a document, text, image, or link. Without lifting that finger, make sure to use a second finger to swipe out the current application and navigate to another application where you wish to drop the file.
Step 2: Next, you can swipe up from the bottom to move to the home screen and enter into the application where you wish to drop the file. Alternatively, you can swipe left to right on the pill to navigate between the applications flawlessly.
Step 3: When you are inside another application, a green color "Plus" icon will be visible at the top right of the file you are moving across the applications. This indicates that you can drop the file at the desired spot in that particular application.
It was easy to drag and drop files on iPhone running on iOS 16! You can drag and drop the text across the apps just as flawlessly and effortlessly as you moved the images. Still, if you are finding it hard to drag and drop the screenshots in iOS 16 iPhone, then the next section has got you covered.
Part 2: How to Drag and Drop Screenshots in iOS 16 iPhone
As stated above, in iOS 16, Apple has extended support for drag and drop features across applications on iPhone, allowing the iPhone users to move images, screenshots, files, and text from one place to another. So, if you are an iPhone user and want to know how to drag and drop screenshots in iOS 16, then this section has got you covered.
Here's a step by step guide to assist you:
- Step 1: Take a screenshot on your iPhone in a usual way by pressing the "Side" button and the "Volume Up "button simultaneously.
- Step 2: Long press on the screenshot thumbnail in the bottom left corner of the screen and wait for the white frame around it to disappear.
Step 3: With another finger, click on the application you wish to use the screenshot in. For example, we are opening the "Photos" app, but you can open Files, Messages, Notes, Mail, or anything else.
- Step 4: Next, go to where you wish to use the screenshot. For instance, we choose a specific album that we have created, i.e., iOS 16 screenshots.
Step 5: Move the chosen screenshot into the area you want it and then let go with your finger to drop it in the desired place. In the example below, the screenshots are immediately saved in the specified location.
In our example, we moved two screenshots, which was just a brief result of dragging and dropping the screenshots in iOS 16. But one thing to note here is that it also serves to highlight that drop and drop feature supports the selection of multiple items by tapping them with another finger.
Now, let's move on and get an insight into some of the quick fixes to fix the drag and drop feature not working in iOS 16.
Part 3: iOS 16 Drag and Drop Not Working?
Drag and drop is an excellent feature in iOS devices that allow users to flawlessly move the files across applications with just a single touch of buttons. However, iOS device are less prone to glitches and errors, but there are times when the drag and drop feature does not work after the iOS 16 update.
Some of the possible reasons behind it could be: some apps not working with a drag and drop, can't swipe up to the home, and much more.
So, if you are facing the same issue and want to use the drag and drop feature in your iPhone running on iOS 16, then you can try troubleshooting the issue by following any of the solutions below!
1. Restart iPhone
Restarting your iPhone is the first and foremost fix that can help you solve common iPhone-related issues effortlessly. To date, most iPhone users have fixed the drag and drop feature not working issue in their iOS device by restarting their device. So, if you are dealing with the same issues, then try restarting your iPhone by following the guide below:
Restart iPhone X, 11, 12, or 13
- Step 1: Hold down either the "Volume" button or "Side" button until the "Power Off" slider displays.
- Step 2: After dragging the slider, wait for 30 seconds for your device to turn off. Force restart your device if it is frozen or unresponsive.
- Step 3: To turn ON your device, press and hold the "Side" button (located on the right side of your iPhone) until the Apple logo is visible.
Restart iPhone SE (2nd Generation), 8, 7, 6
- Step 1: Hold down the "Side" button until you see the "Power Off" slider.
- Step 2: Now, after dragging the slider, wait for 30 seconds for your iPhone to switch OFF. Force restarts your iPhone if it is frozen or unresponsive.
- Step 3: To turn ON your device, long-press the "Side" button until the Apple logo appears.
Restart iPhone SE (1st Generation, 5 or Earlier)
- Step 1: Press and hold the "Top" button, and the "Power Off" slider will appear.
- Step 2: After dragging the slider, wait for 30 seconds for your device to Turn Off. Force restart your iDevice if it is frozen or unresponsive.
- Step 3: To Turn On your iDevice, press and hold the "Top" button until the Apple logo appears.
Restarting your iPhone is capable of solving common iOS system-related issues. So, try solving the drag and drop feature not working issue with this method.
2. Check for Software Update
Another way to resolve the drag and drop feature not working on iOS 16 is by checking the software update. Apple frequently introduces software updates to offer an excellent user experience. So, in case Apple releases a software update but you didn't have it installed in your iPhone, then you might face an issue using the drag and drop feature.
Go to Settings app on your iPhone and click on General > Software Update. In case the software update is available, then please update your iOS software and check if the issue is now resolved!
3. Check for Apps Update
If you have the latest software installed in your iOS device and still the drag and drop feature fails to work on iOS 16, then you can check if the apps you are working with are updated to their latest version or not. In case you don't know how to check for apps update, then have a look at the guide below:
- Step 1: On your iPhone's home screen, click on the "App Store" icon to open it.
- Step 2: In "App Store," tap on your "profile" icon at the top right corner of the screen.
- Step 3: Next, scroll down until a list of apps is visible on the screen.
- Step 4: The apps that say "Update" next to them can be updated, while the other ones that say "Open" are already updated.
- Step 5: Simply hit the "Update" button next to the application that you wish to update.
4. Repair iPhone System
If none of the above-stated solutions worked to fix drag and drop files to iPhone not working, then you can switch to a professional third-party tool that can help you resolve the iOS related issue within few minutes. Yes, you read that right!
There are times when iOS related problems are due to system file corruption or malfunction, which can only be fixed with the help of a highly advanced tool like UltFone iOS System Repair. This top-rated iOS system repair tool can solve more than 150 iOS related issues within a few minutes.
With an excellent list of features and unbelievable results, the UltFone iOS System Repair is the first choice of iOS users when it comes to solving any software-related iOS issue. So, if you are having a hard time using the drag and drop feature in your iPhone running on iOS 16, then you can rely on this tool to solve your issue! By just a single use of this tool, you will find yourself dragging and dropping a file in your iPhone effortlessly.
In order to know more about how the UltFone iOS System Repair tool works, have a look at the guide below:
Step 1 Download and run UltFone iOS System Repair on your PC, connect your iPhone to the PC via a USB cable, and hit the "Start" button to continue.
Step 2 On the next screen, click on the "Standard Repair" option as the way to fix iOS to normal without data loss.
Step 3 Next, click on the "Download" button to download the matched firmware package for your iPhone.
Step 4 Once the matched firmware is installed, click on the "Start Standard Repair" button to proceed further.
Step 5 Once the iOS system recovery is completed, your iPhone will automatically reboot, and your iOS system-related issue will be fixed within a few minutes.
That's all!! In just five simple steps, the UltFone iOS System Repair tool will repair the software-related issue in your iPhone, and then everything in your iPhone will be good to go.
The Bottom Line
This was all about how to drag and drop on iPhone iOS 16 and how you can solve when drag and drop not working in iOS 16. No matter which way you choose from the list above, you are always in safe hands as all the methods are completely reliable. But if you are looking for a quick fix, we recommend you use the UltFone iOS System Repair as this tool has everything involved to fix all iOS related issues within a couple of minutes.