1 Click and Free Method: How to Backup iPhone to External Hard Drive
We often backup iPhone on the computer because they have large storage capacity. But the laptop or computer storage is used for other purposes also. So, instead of using the internal storage of the system, using an external storage drive is much better. There are many advantages to create a backup iPhone to an external hard drive on Windows & Mac. You won’t have to worry about running out of storage or some other common issues.
So, in this article, we are going to learn how to backup iPhone to external hard drive Mac & Windows both. As even after all these years iCloud still can’t create a full backup, it is viable to use other tools for a full backup of your iPhone. Let’s start.
- Part 1: Can You Back Up iPhone to External Hard Drive?
- Part 2: How to Backup iPhone to External Hard Drive using iTunes?
- Part 3: Free iPhone Backup Software: Backup iPhone to External Hard Drive without iTunes (Windows & Mac)
Part 1: Can You Back Up iPhone to External Hard Drive?
The first question that is searched by users is- how do I backup the iPhone to an external hard drive? The possibility of this situation depends on various factors. When the storage on Mac or Windows is running out, it becomes vital to use additional storage devices. Even the Mac OS 10.15 Catalina has no iTunes in it. Therefore, people look for other options that can back up the whole device.
Although iCloud allows you to backup iPhone to external hard drive without a computer, the main problem is the space. Device backup takes up a lot of memory, that’s why it is better to use external hard drives for such requirements. Once you know that you can backup iPhone to an external drive, it is obvious that you learn the possible ways also.
Part 2: How to Backup iPhone to External Hard Drive using iTunes?
At first, we will use iTunes to learn how to backup iPhone to an external drive. It is not possible to directly create a backup via iTunes on the external hard drive. So, we actually have to copy the backup file and paste it to the external hard drive. The steps you need to follow are given below:
- 1. Create the latest backup on the system (Windows and Mac) using iTunes and let it finish. Now connect your external hard drive with the computer and find the iTunes backup file in the system.
- 2. On Mac, you will find the backup file by typing ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/ in the Go To interface.
3. On Windows, you will find the file in different folders in different versions:
For Windows 7 & Vista: C:/Users/AppData/Roaming/Apple Computer/MobileSync/Backup/
Windows 8/10: C:/Users/YOURUSERNAME/AppData/Roaming/Apple Computer/MobileSync/Backup/
- 4. As soon as you find the file, copy it and paste it inside the external hard drive. You will be able to access the backup file using iTunes on different devices as well.
But what if you don’t like to use iTunes? Or don’t want to go through the hassle of finding the files. Sometimes, this method doesn’t even work when we want to access the backup file using iTunes which creates further problems. That’s why it is better to use a third-party tool for this.
Part 3: Free iPhone Backup Software: Backup iPhone to External Hard Drive without iTunes (Windows & Mac)
The best answer you can find on the internet to learn how to backup iPhone directly to external hard drive is iOS Data Manager. This software is designed in such a way that you can use any storage device for the backup and restore the backup directly to your iPhone. It is the simplest way to move all the photos, videos, contacts, messages, bookmarks, and other data types to an external drive. Whether you have a Windows system or Mac, the software is compatible with both.
Advantages of using iOS Data Manager
- There is no space limit when you are using the software.
- Selective backup options and preview feature.
- The backup and restore aren’t time-consuming.
- Have a wide array of file support and data type.
- Even provide old backup files preview.
Just download the software from the official website and install it on your system. Then follow the steps below to backup iPhone to an external drive:
Step 1 Run the program and connect your iPhone with the system. The software will recognize the device. Select "Backup & Restore", and then “Device Backup & Restore” option to backup iPhone data.
Step 2 In the next screen, you will see all the data that can be backed up by the software. Select the ones whose backup you want to create and customize the backup path to the external drive.
Step 3 Click on the backup option at the bottom and the software will back up the device data in a while. You will be able to see the backup list and files within the software.
Furthermore, you can restore the backup file directly to your device whenever you want.
The Bottom Line
In this article, we explained how to backup iPhone to an external hard drive directly. Although the iTunes and iCloud features are available, they still lack some features. That’s why iOS Data Manager is the recommended tool for backup. With the help of this tool, you can backup iPhone data to any storage device and restore it anytime.