BIOS/UEFI Settings:How to Boot Your Computer from USB/CD/DVD
This article details the different methods on how you can set computer boot from USB device. Let us jump into it right now.
Part 1: BIOS/UEFI Hot Key for Different Computers
When enabling your PC to boot from USB, you have to go to the UEFI or BIOS from your PC and change the settings. Hotkeys are different for different PCs. Select your device and press the keys as indicated by your PC.
|Laptop Brand||Boot Key||Desktop Brand||Boot Key||Motherboard Brand||Boot Key|
Part 2: Two Ways to Set Computer Boot from USB Drive
There are two ways to set the computer boot from a USB drive and we've explained both methods below in details. Select the hotkeys according to your PC and follow the steps one by one.
From USB Device in BIOS/UEFI as First Boot Device Priority.
The boot order of a computer is an ordered list of devices for the system firmware to load and start an operating system. You can set the boot device priority to USB device by following the below-given instructions.
- Step 1: Start your PC and press the UEFI (F2/DEL) key to enter the "UEFI BIOS Utility" interface.
Step 2: Enter "Exit/Advanced Mode" and certify your activities to continue.
- Step 3: Navigate to "Boot" from the sub-menu and locate "Boot Option Priorities". Beneath it, select "Boot Device Option 1" and hit Enter.
Step 4: A popup window will appear. Pick "USB Device" from there and press the "Enter" key.
- Step 5: Press "F10" to save all the changes.
Windows Computers with BIOS
- Step 1: Attach USB device to your PC/Laptop.
- Step 2: Reboot or start your computer and press the BIOS hotkey (DEL/ESC/F2) to enter the BIOS Setup Utility.
Step 3: Navigate to the "Boot" tab. Select the "1st Boot Device" option and change it to "USB Drive or USB HDD or Removable Device".
- Step 4: Hit "F10" key to save all the changes.
Phoenix Award BIOS
- Step 1: Start your PC and press the "DEL" button to enter the BIOS settings.
- Step 2: Head to the "Boot" menu using the arrow keys.
Step 3: Use "+" and "-" keys to move "Removable Devices/USB Device" to the first place.
- Step 4: Press "F10" to save the changes and leave the boot menu.
From USB Device Using Boot Menu
What if the first method doesn't work? Don't worry, you can boot your PC through the "Boot Menu". The instructions are detailed below:
- Step 1: Insert the USB drive into your PC and turn it on.
- Step 2: Press the hotkey (F8/F12/ESC) to enter "Boot Options" according to the on-screen instruction.
Step 3: After getting in the boot menu, select "USB Disk" or "UEFI: USB Drive" to boot the OS.
Boot HP Computer from USB Device
- Step 1: Plug-in the USB drive to the PC and reboot/start your PC.
- Step 2: Press "F9" key to enter "Boot Menu" when you see an HP logo on your screen.
- Step 3: Enter the "Boot Device Options" and choose "USB streak drive" from there.
Boot Dell PC from USB Device
- Step 1: Restart/Turn on your PC after attaching a USB stick with the PC.
- Step 2: Hit "F10" to get into "Boot Menu" after seeing the Dell logo on the screen monitor.
- Step 3: Select "USB streak drive" from a list of available boot options.
Boot Acer PC from USB Device
- Step 1: Insert the USB flash drive in the PC and boot/reboot it.
- Step 2: Once the Acer logo appears on the screen, press the "F9" key to get into "Boot Menu".
- Step 3: Pick "USB streak drive" to boot your PC.