How to Backup WhatsApp Messages on iPhone & Android
WhatsApp is used as a primary messaging app by most people. Therefore, having a backup is more like a crucial need in case unexpected problem like WhatsApp crash, WhatsApp down, etc. But, there are lots of people who still don’t know how to backup WhatsApp messages. So, whether you own iPhone or Samsung or HTC or any other device, you must know how you can keep your device data safe and secure.
Here, we will explore the possible methods that would help you to understand how to backup messages in WhatsApp on iPhone and Android devices. We have compiled a list of methods that are helpful for the users.
- Part 1: Free WhatsApp Messages Backup Solutions on iPhone
- Part 2. Free WhatsApp Messages Backup Solutions on Android
Part 1: Free WhatsApp Messages Backup Solutions on iPhone
Discover the methods for backing up WhatsApp messages and media files on the iPhone and choose the one you prefer.
Method 1: Best Free WhatsApp Backup Software to Backup WhatsApp Messages to Computer
If you want to create a backup of your WhatsApp data, then it will be better that you use the best software for this. Luckily, Free WhatsApp Backup Tool is the ideal software for all your data backup needs. It is an all in one tool that can backup WhatsApp messages with just one click.
Advantages of backup WhatsApp messages using iOS Data Manager:
- Backup WhatApp messages and attachments to computer.
- Unlimited backup storage.
- Store multiple backup files on computer.
Download the software from the official portal and install it on your computer. After that, you can follow the steps below to know how to backup WhatsApp backup messages to computer.
Step 1 Launch the application and connect your iPhone with it. By default, the home tab will open up and you’ll have to switch to the Backup and Restore tab and then "WhatsApp Backup & Restore".
Step 2 In the next screen, please select WhatsApp Backup to start backup WhatsApp messages on iPhone.
Step 3 The backup time depends on the data in your device. Generally the process takes a few minutes.
Step 4 When the backup is completed, you can check this backup on computer, or click Restore backup to restore iPhone WhatsApp to other iOS or Android device.
Method 2: Backup WhatsApp Messages from iPhone to iCloud
Another way to backup WhatsApp messages on iPhone is iCloud. In fact, it is a great option you can use to save your important messages. With iCloud, you can sync your WhatsApp data to other iOS devices.
To learn how to backup WhatsApp messages on iPhone with iCloud, all you have to do is to follow the below steps:
- 1. On iPhone, go to “Settings”>”iCloud”>”Turn on iCloud Drive”. Make sure that WhatsApp is in the list and turned on.
2. Now, open the WhatsApp app, and then, move to “Settings”>”Chats”>”Chat Backup”. Here, click on the “Backup Now” option. Or you can set up auto backup.
Method 3: Backup iPhone WhatsApp Messages with iTunes
Well, iTunes is an official way to manage iOS data. You can also use iTunes to backup WhatsApp messages. However, the only problem with this method is that it will backup entire data of your device. It means you can’t only backup WhatsApp messages, but you have to back up your whole device data. So, if you have no problem to do this, then follow the below steps.
- 1. Run the iTunes latest version on your computer, and then, connect your iPhone to the computer using a USB cable.
2. Next, click on the “Device” icon, and here, click on “Back up Now” button. Now, iTunes start to back up your iPhone data, which include WhatsApp messages.
Method 4: Backup WhatsApp Messages to Email
You can also email your WhatsApp chat to have a backup. Amazingly, you can do this within your WhatsApp application. To learn how to backup messages in WhatsApp using email, follow the below steps:
- 1. Run the WhatsApp app on your iPhone, and open conversation or chat you want to backup.
2. Now, click on the “contact” or “group” name to show information. And here, click on the “Email Chat”, and you will get menu whether to Attach Media or Without Media.
- 3. You can choose either option, and it will move to an interface where you can email your conversation. Now, enter the email address where you want to have a backup, and click on the Send button.
Part 2. Free WhatsApp Messages Backup Solutions on Android
The methods that you can use to create WhatsApp backup on Android are given below.
Method 1: Backup WhatsApp Messages To Google Drive
This is highly unlikely that an Android user won’t know that Google Drive is the most common method to backup messages and media files from WhatsApp. The users can even set automatic backup feature that will create a regular backup file of your WhatsApp on Google Drive. This way, the users can restore the messages and attachment anytime.
Here’s how to backup WhatsApp messages to Google drive.
1. Launch WhatsApp on your phone and open settings. In the settings menu, click on Chat option and then select Chat Backup.
2. There you will see a big green column which says “Back Up”. Before clicking on the backup button, look under the Google Drive settings and click on the Account option.
- 3. You can add your Google account. In the “Back up to Google Drive” option, choose the frequency and then click on the Backup button.
It will take a while and your WhatsApp data will be backed up to Google drive. You can retrieve the messages from Google drive when needed.
Method 2. Backup Android WhatsApp Messages to PC
There is also third-party WhatsApp backup software for Android. Android Data Recovery is recommended as it will not only backup WhatsApp data, but recover the lost messages. If somehow you delete a WhatsApp chat and do not have a backup, this program will recover the lost WhatsApp messages on Android and restore it to computer.
Here is a guide to instruct how to recover and backup WhatsApp from Android to computer.
1. Begin with downloading and installing the software on your computer. Run the software and connect your device with it. On the main interface, select Recover WhatsApp Data.
Free Download For Win 10/8.1/8/7/XP Secure Download Free Download For macOS 10.15 and below Secure Download
2. Make sure that you’ve enabled the USB debugging option in the Accessibility settings so that the software can scan the data on your device.
3. Once the device is connected, the files that can be recovered with the software will be displayed on the screen. Make sure that the WhatsApp messages and Attachments column is checked before proceeding and click on the Next button.
4. The software will scan the lost and existing data from your phone and display the results on the screen. You can select as many files as you want from the results and have a preview of the files.
After you’ve selected all the files, tap on the Recover button and the files will be saved on your computer. This way, you’ll not only recover the lost files but also have a backup of the WhatsApp data of your phone.
The Bottom Line
Now, you know how to backup WhatsApp messages on both iPhone and Android messages. All these methods are very useful to keep your WhatsApp data safe. Still, it is recommended that you rely on Free WhatsApp Backup Software for keeping your media files and messages secure. Whether you simply want to create a backup or you wish to restore the files you lost, Tenorshare has a solution for all your problems.