[Solved] iTunes Requires Password for iPhone Restore
"I tried to restore my iPhone after backing up but it says "iTunes could not restore the iPhone "xx's iPhone" because the password was incorrect. I tried password of both the computer and my Apple ID but it doesn't work. What can I do?"
If you have encountered the same situations as described above when you attempted to restore your iPhone 7/7 Plus/6/6 Plus/5s/5/4s or you don't have your password when someone sets up your device or transferred your data to a new device turned on the iTunes encryption option, you are not supposed miss this post which aims to guide you to recover iTunes encrypted backup password.
1. Try Possible Passwords
The easiest way to unlock a forgotten iPhone backup on Windows is to try out all possible passwords. Normally, Very few computer users will create unique passwords for each account. Most of them tend to have one or two passwords that they use across all of their accounts. Just check out the clues below, hope you can remember what your password is.
- Try your iTunes Store password, which is most commonly the password to restore your backup.
- Try your 4 digit passcode for unlocking your iPhone device.
- Try the default password 0000 or 12345.
- If you are using a Mac, check if your iTunes backup password is stored in Keychain access. First, open Applications -> Utilities -> Keychain Access. Double-click on the entry for "iPhone backup" and click "Show password".
- If someone else set up your device, ask them for the password.
- Try the Windows administrator password.
- If it's still relevant, try using an older iTunes backup.
2. Recover iTunes Backup Password with iPhone Backup Unlocker
If you have already managed to attempt all the clues and nothing has worked, it seems like you will have to retrieve encrypted iPhone backup password 2017 with a third party password unlocking software. Here I recommend iPhone Backup Unlocker, which is highly praised by a lot of tech editors.
It allows you to recover iTunes backup password with 3 attack types, including Brute-force attack, mask attack or dictionary attack. Follow these steps to crack iPhone backup password on Windows:
- Step 1: Download and install iPhone Backup Unlocker on your computer.
- Step 2: Launch the program after installation completed. Then Click "Add" and double-click the backup file of which you want to unlock password.
- Step 3: Select an attack type among listed 3 in this software based on your needs: They are respectively Brute-force Attack, Brute-force with Mask Attack, Dictionary Attack.
- Step 4: Click "Start" to start cracking the password. Within minutes, your iTunes backup password will be recovered successfully.
Hope these clues would be helpful for iTunes backup password recovery for iPhone when iTunes requires password for iPhone restore. If you have another solution to get this issue fixed, share with us in the comment section below.